I continue to be asked about what constitutes my discipleship and ongoing formation.
One invaluable part of my routine for almost sixteen years has been a spiritual director
. The accountability, depth, insight and fellowship of these times remains….Sister Theresa played a precious part of this in my life for a clutch of those years…..here pictured with my son Noah some time ago. Our times were fuelled by questionable instant-coffee, ginger nut biscuits and sincere prayerfulness of heart.
Here are some of the scribbles from the journals of that time…..
- Bone-china mugs make any hot drink taste better.
- Times that are free of suffering are opportunities to reach out to those in times of suffering.
- Times of suffering are opportunities to glorify God and grow the most. You’re never meant to enjoy them, and sometimes they last a long time!
- Wisdom chooses silence over speech more often than not.
Anger unaddressed, poisons every area of life.
- Funny birthday cards are silly. Just say what you mean!
- If you ever start to believe that people cannot change, it’s time to get out of ministry.
- See more in people than they see in themselves. Trust your intuition, even if all around is doubt.
- Use simple words to express yourself. Speak plainly. It helps to think for awhile before you speak.
- Linger near death, for out of it will flow resurrection life and undefeatable hope.
- It is wiser to be an asker of questions than a teller of answers.
- We are all God’s favourites, right!?