So here’s five more quotes, from one of my favourite Pastor mentors. The wise, inimitable and gracious Eugene Peterson. You know the drill……here goes.
1. “The mature Christian life involves a congruence of grace and work.”
2. “Christian faith is not neurotic dependency but childlike trust. We do not have a God who forever indulges our whims but a God whom we trust with our destinies.”
3. “When we sin and mess up our lives, we find that God doesn’t go off and leave us- he enters into our trouble and saves us.”
4. “Stories are verbal acts of hospitality.”
5. “The vocation of pastors has been replaced by the strategies of religious entrepreneurs with business plans.”
…..and a bonus one?
“Self is the soul minus God. ”